Friday, October 5, 2007

The Day I Ran Away


My mom the other day wanted me to write down some childhood memories. One popped into my head today, and I shared it with my co-workers and we all had a good chuckle about similar stories.
This is when I was probably about four--I am unsure of the age, but I do know I was not in school yet. I was watching the Andy Griffin Show re-run( I hope it was a re-run) and Opie ran away. Aunt Bea who lived with them was worried sick. The whole town was worried and they all started to look for him. Aunt Bea made him an apple pie. When they found him it was all apple pie and hugs. To me is just seemed so nice. I had a brilliant idea that I was going to run away. I tracked my mom down ---she was in the bathroom. I asked her if I could run away...She told me "yes" and it hurt my feelings. I wasn't really going to run away, but when she told me "yes" I had to do it. Looking back she was probably annoyed that I was once again bothering her while she was going to the bathroom. I experience that as a mom all the time now. To continue on -I found the largest suitcase and I filled it with my toys and what I thought I would need. It was on wheels and was almost larger than I was. I pulled it outside and headed out. I went up the block and around the corner. I had no idea where I was going but I was going to run away! I wonder what the neighbors must of thought of seeing a little girl pushing this huge suitcase up the street. Once I got around the corner I did not know where I was going to go, and I remember being a little afraid that no one was going to come for me. I sat there for a second and here comes my big brother Scott on his bike yelling at me to get home. I said NO! and he started chasing me on his bike with a ruler. I do not think I ever wanted to run away after that. It was not all apple pies and as fun as I hoped. I still think about how my feelings got hurt when my mom said YES, and I laugh to myself and wonder to myself how many times I have answered yes, just for a second of peace and not really have known what my kids were asking. hmmmmm.

No comments: